The awards recognize outstanding progress in the development and commercialization of printed electronics, an industry that produces a huge amount of technical innovation which will be used in many products, and is now being widely adopted. The entries were judged by an eminent panel comprising of
• Professor Malcolm Keif, California Polytechnic State University, USA.
• Professor Takao Someya, University of Tokyo, Japan.
• Professor Toshihide Kamata, AIST, Japan.
• Professor Iain McCulloch, Imperial College London, UK.
• Dr. Ken McGuire, Procter & Gamble, USA.
The winners each received a unique prize - the world's first e-paper certificate, supplied by E-Ink. Sri Peruvemba, chief marketing officer of E-Ink, said of the awards, "There was no better event to showcase the world's first electronic paper display award certificates than the Printed Electronics USA 2012 show by IDTechEx."
A summary of the awards are as follows:
• Best Product Development Award - Cambrios.
• Best Commercialization Award - T-Ink.
• Best Technical Development Manufacturing Award - VTT Technical Research Center, Finland.
• Best Technical Development Materials Award - Incubation Alliance Inc and Scrum Inc.
• Academic R&D Award - Georgia Tech - Center for Organic Photonics and Electronics.
• Best Poster - Prof. Fernando Seoane - University of Boras.