“Sustainability is fully embedded in STMicroelectronics’ values, which is reflected in how we enable innovation for our customers and consumers, as well as in the way we operate as one team of 46,000 engaged employees around the world. Our approach contributes to addressing challenges presented by ever more dense urban environments, more complex mobility systems, safety, increasing energy demands, security of data, smart manufacturing, and more,” said Jean-Marc Chery, president and CEO of STMicroelectronics.
ST’s sustainability highlights in 2018 included:
• Delivered year-over-year revenue growth of 15.8%, outpacing the growth of the markets ST serves.
• Invested a total of $1.4 billion in R&D in 2018 to support innovation.
• Included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices World and Europe. With a total score of 81 points out of 100, ST was ranked in the top 10% of the global semiconductor companies that were invited to participate in the indices.
• Strengthened its safety culture by reinforcing safe behaviors, which contributed to reducing incident severity rate from 2.10 in 2017 to 1.8 in 2018.
• Increased employee engagement index by 5 points compared to last survey, with 75% of employees recommending ST as a great place to work in 2018.
• Strengthened the “Women in Leadership” program with the objective to recruit a minimum of 20% women in management positions.
• Continued to support education, with 80% of voluntary initiatives linked to Education supporting our STEM program.
• Achieved a successful transition to the new ISO 14001:2015 standard for all manufacturing sites, including the R&D site at Grenoble, France.
• Reduced GHG emissions by almost 15% and energy consumption by more than 19%, both compared to the 2016 baseline.
• Improved water efficiency achieving a 5% reduction in water consumption per unit of production compared to 2017 and recycled 41% of water, reusing it for a variety of different purposes;
• Reused, recovered, or sent for recycling 93% of waste.