Growing demand in downstream markets for energy-efficient display panels such as televisions, smartphones, tablets, personal computers and other electronics has forced OEMs and display manufacturers to build state-of-the-art displays capable of delivering maximum energy efficiency and increasing color quality.
Key Takeaways of the Quantum Dot Display Market Study
- Television monitors dominate the quantum dot display application segment with the segment growing 6X during the forecast period. Such growth is accredited towards a better color gamut and economical displays that quantum dot technology offers;
- The medical devices segment is projected to witness the highest growth rate of 47% owing to the utilization of quantum dots in medical imaging and sensor applications;
- APAC holds a market share of more than 45% in the global quantum dot display market, attributable to the growth of the consumer electronics and smartphone industry in the region;
- The quantum dot display market is consolidated in nature with the top four competitors namely Samsung, LG, Sharp and CSOT (China Star Optoelectronics Technology) together holding a market share of more than 70%;
- The Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) regulations related to the use of cadmium in consumer devices will negatively impact the growth of global quantum dot display market
- The quantum dot display market is still at its infancy, with plenty of room for improvement.
Pricing strategy among manufacturers is at the cusp of a major change with implementation costs falling and new pricing options being more viable. Several competitors have seized the opportunity to create a product range spanning different price ranges.