The jury, consisting of representatives from international companies and institutes, rated the submissions in three categories. LOPEC visitors were encouraged to choose their favorite exhibit at the OE-A booth, where all the demonstrators were exhibited. The awards were presented during the LOPEC Dinner & Award Show to the following honorees:
• Best Prototype/New Product - Self-Powered Glucometer, IMB-CNM-CSIC.
• Best Freestyle Demonstrator - Project Monarch - OLED Design Kit, Fraunhofer FEP.
• Best Publicly Funded Project Demonstrator - PYCSEL H2020 - Thin Thermal Fingerprint Sensor – CEA, Holst Centre/TNO, IMEC, et al.
• Public Choice Award - Smart Windmill Blade – IPC & CEA Liten.
The OE-A also offers awards for newer companies at the Start-up Forum, who present their product ideas and business case. Two awards were presented:
• Best Business Case - Dr. David Forgacs, Saule Technologies.
• Most Impactful Technology Product - Daniel Strohmayr, Tacterion.
“Overall, we are seeing a move to even more maturity for the technology,” said LOPEC chair Wolfgang Mildner of mswTech. “The projects are now more mature, and are closer to the market and the customer.”